Friday, November 17, 2023

Errors and Omissions: Science vs Silence

Typesetter: John A Prior Health Sciences Library Mural

As I continue to try to track down additional publications listed or promoted in various issues of Ethical Addresses and Ethical Record, I have discovered on apparent typo in the lists. A recurring publication in the list of pamphlets written by Felix Adler is entitled "The Moral Value of Science." I can find no evidence of a platform with this title in EA&ER. Moreover, when I search online for that title, a different platform always appears: "The Moral Value of Silence." Unless a physical copy of the platform on science can be discovered in the various archives, it looks like a error was made in typesetting the original list. It also looks like the trays of type for that list were reused in several issues of EA&ER, without correction, perpetuating the error over time.

"The Moral Value of Silence" was published in the Ninth Series (1902) and discussed in an earlier post on this blog.  It was originally a platform delivered to the New York Society for Ethical Culture on February 6, 1898.  It was also first published in the International Journal of Ethics in April 1898.  This article is (at the moment) free on JSTOR.

Happy turkeys, y'all!  

We'll be taking the day off next Thursday.  

Blogging will resume the following week on November 30.  

Enjoy the holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

They Builded Better

Felix Adler I'm still trying to find my rhythm after my trip to New York.  I'm not sure I'm there, but I am at least back in the...