Monday, February 19, 2024

Wayback at the AEU

 

AEU Library - On the Wayback Machine

I can't believe that I just found a Library of Ethical Culture.  It's the American Ethical Union Library.  It exists on the Wayback Machine in the Internet Library (archive.org).  The Wayback Machine shows that its last crawl of this site was November 30, 2013.  After that, pffft!  

I don't see the Library on any AEU web space that I have access to.  We can be grateful to the Wayback Machine (and now the Internet Library) for recovering this lost resource.

As a resource, the Library is rather clunky to use.  It takes noticeable seconds to pull up any page that you want to look at.  Some pages indicate that there is more to see, but the Wayback machine seems only to have captured what is on screen and not whatever would have been found by scrolling down the page.  

Nonetheless we will also "capture" what we can and continue looking for the original files.  If they haven't been deleted.

And that, friends, is another reason to do this work.  Sometimes we seem to lack continuity as well as connection to our past--even a past as recent as 2013.  Institutional memory is actually a good thing.

Happy President's Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

They Builded Better

Felix Adler I'm still trying to find my rhythm after my trip to New York.  I'm not sure I'm there, but I am at least back in the...